THE CAREERS PROGRAMME AT SHIRELAND CBSO ACADEMY IS DELIVERED TO YEARS 7 THROUGH TO 13 VIA
- Careers Days
- Guest Speakers
- Tutor Sessions
- Careers Trips
- One on one careers interviews
- Work Experience
- PSHE Sessions
- Professionals’ Talks
- Group Talks by Employers, Universities and Training Providers
- Skills Development Activities
- Engagement in competitions and workshops
- Visits to Universities and Careers Events
WE STRIVE TO FOLLOW THE GATSBY BENCHMARKS
1. A stable careers programme
2. Learning from career and labour market information
3. Addressing the needs of each student
4. Linking curriculum learning to careers
5. Encounters with employers and employees
6. Experiences of workplaces
7. Encounters with further and higher education
8. Personal guidance
KEY STAGE 4 AND 5 OPTION CHOICES
All year 9 students receive a 1:1 appointment with our Careers Adviser during the first half of the Autumn Term to discuss the various course options available to them at Key Stage 4. Families are welcome to attend this meeting. Following on from this, all students attend a 1:1 meeting with a member of the Senior Leadership Team or Heads of Department to discuss their chosen courses ahead of starting their lessons in the Spring Term of year 9.
In year 11 students have the opportunity to choose from one of the following pathways:
- Full time study at a college, sixth form or training provider
- Full time work or volunteering combined with part time education of training
- An apprenticeship
- A traineeship
Students receive impartial advice on their options, including access to Universities and local Colleges and Apprenticeship providers. Students are offered the opportunity to discuss their chosen pathway with the Careers Adviser and a Connexions Adviser.
CONTACT DETAILS FOR THE SHIRELAND CBSO CAREERS CO-ORDINATOR
Ms Amy Danks, Careers Lead – Vice Principal
0121 818 4624
This information will be reviewed in July 2024.
MONITORING AND MEASURING THE IMPACT OF OUR CAREERS PROGRAMME
Students will complete an annual questionnaire to determine their preferences for careers and areas of industry and their knowledge of the topics.
We will use Student Voice and Careers and Guidance interviews to assess the impact of our Careers Programme.
We use Compass+ to track encounters with providers and employers and in-school activities. This allows us to evaluate the quality of our provision against the Gatsby Benchmarks.